West Muswellbrook Project
Muswellbrook Coal Company has a proud 100+ year history in the Upper Hunter region. Through the West Muswellbrook Project, Idemitsu Australia Resources (IAR) is seeking to continue its local operations.
In 2009, Muswellbrook Coal Company was granted Assessment Lease 19 (AL 19) by the New South Wales Department of Trade and Investment, Regional Infrastructure and Services over 8,101 hectares of land located 18 kilometres west of Muswellbrook in New South Wales. A lease renewal application has been lodged and is currently under consideration by the New South Wales Government.
In the past ten years, Idemitsu Australia Resources has continued to build on the earlier exploration activities in the area, collected additional data on the coal resource, conducted preliminary technical studies, which had previously identified the potential to develop an open-cut coal mine. In recognition of community concerns Idemitsu Australia Resources conducted a review and identified the risks associated with the development of an open cut mine in the West Muswellbrook Project area. As a result, an initial concept level study on underground options was commissioned which identified the potential viability of an underground mine.
To fully understand the viability of an underground mine in the West Muswellbrook Project area additional exploration and technical studies are needed.
The New South Wales Government aims to create large tracts of land across the Upper Hunter to better protect biodiversity and ultimately improve the environmental health of the region by combining offset requirements across the region.
IAR’s ecologist undertook comprehensive ecological surveys to identify biodiversity values in AL 19, as part of the Upper Hunter Strategic Biodiversity Offsets Program.
Data from the surveys assisted in development of a cumulative Biodiversity Offsets Program for the entire Upper Hunter region. The strategy identifies potential cumulative biodiversity impacts of proposed mining developments and strategic biodiversity offset lands.
Throughout the West Muswellbrook Exploration project, Idemitsu Australia Resources remains committed to keeping the local community informed through regular consultation.
If you are a local resident and wish to stay informed you can subscribe to the project newsletter by sending an email request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Supporting Document
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Appendix A_Detailed description of agricultural uses
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Appendix B_BSAL verification report (Part 1)
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Appendix B_BSAL verification report_appendices (Part 2)
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Appendix B_BSAL verification report_maps and plans (Part 3)
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Appendix C Preliminary groundwater model and impact assessment report (Part 1)
- West Muswellbrook Project GWA_Appendix C Preliminary groundwater model and impact assessment report_appendices (Part 2)